Published on July 13th, 2015 | by audioguy0
AKG K 240 Semi-Open Studio Headphones Review
The K 240 is a brand of semi-open, dynamic, circumaural, professional studio headphones. These headphones are the new version of AKG’s most successful range of headphones and they have large transducers with Varimotion technology and XXL drivers.
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 9.2 x 6 inches
- Product Weight – 8.5 ounces
- Product Shipping Weight: 1 pound
- Product Model Number: AKG K240STU
- Headphone Type: Semi-open, dynamic
- Sensitivity: 91dB.
- Frequency response: 15Hz – 25 kHz.
- Impedance: 55 ohms.
- Maximum input: 200mW.
- Detachable cable – Yes
- Cable Length – 3 metres
- Replaceable Ear pads – Yes
- Type of Screw-on Jack – Combo (1/4″and 1/8″)
- Contacts – 3 pin
- Length – 110 mm
- Width – 190 mm
- Height – 200 mm
- Accessories Included – 4 ear cups, detachable curled cable, 6.3mm jack plug extension
The advanced Varimotion 30mm XXL transducers of the K 240 MK II headphones deliver a solid bass, precise middle range and crisp highs. The K240 MKII professional on-ear, semi-open headphones has long been a standard in the studio, in orchestras and on stages around the world.
The semi-open design of this product confers on it the buoyancy of an open headphone design but also with the powerful bass of a closed design. Although they were built specifically for use in recording studios, the K 240 MK headphones are also ideal for use in the home or even on stage. The headset has a detachable plug-in cable with mini XLR connector which can be easily replaced.
For an easy fit, the AKG K 240 semi-open studio headphones have an automatic headband which make them fit snugly on the user’s head without them experiencing any form of ear fatigue.
They provides good insulation from outside noise whenever they are in use as they isolate the ambient sound very well.
Thanks to its lower impedance and improved sensitivity, it can be used with audio sources with a low output voltage.
The product package comes with a set of thick and sturdy cables. They have a strong, rubber-like coating which serve to shield them from the external damage.
Both the mini-XLR plug as well as the 3.5mm jack are standard when compared to other brands of headphones. They equally have solid builds, which inspires confidence about their durability.
The jacks were design with a view to limiting strain to the barest minimum as the jacks seem to be designed to endure a lot of bending during use. The cables on this product are quite flexible even though they appear to be somewhat hard. They functions just as effectually as those found on any higher-priced headphones.
The cables and the headband of this unit have a modern design. The manufactured positioned small holes all around the center point of the ear cups. Metal-accented circles are also placed around these small holes, which add some coloration of these headphones and further boosts their aesthetic appeal.
The adjustable headband does not contain any padding and it gives the unit a more solid look and feel.
The ear pads have cushions made from leather and velvet are both soft and comfortable to wear for long hours.
- The audio quality is very good on these headphones
- They are lightweight
- Easy to use
- They are versatile in their functionality as they are good for listening to music, video editing, mixing audio, playing video games etc.
- It has patented Varimotion technology which deliver a clearer and more powerful audio output
- They have a rugged build which makes them durable
- Have a self-adjusting headband which help them fit properly on the head
- The input cables are replaceable
- Its very cheap and affordable for most people
- They are a bit bulky in size
- Its built primarily with plastic, which speaks to its durability
- The bass reproduction quality of this product is not up to par with that of some other products
The AKG K 240 Semi-Open Studio Headphones is very well made considering its comparatively low price. It is definitely not lacking in terms of design or user comfort. By all comparisons, it looks and feels great. Buyers will especially appreciate the velour pads on this product for their softness and comfort. This product is a really one to consider when shopping for a pair of headphones that is both practical and versatile in its functionality.