Published on July 9th, 2015 | by audioguy2
Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac Headphones Review
Some of the predecessors of this product such as the D5000 and D7000 were two of the very best luxurious set of headphones in their class in their time. So naturally, expectations were really high from music lovers who anticipated a premium quality product upon the announcement of the imminent arrival of the Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac headphones.
The Denon AH-D7100 is the flagship product of Denon. The Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac headphones are a brand of closed headphones with an exterior that is finished in mahogany.
The predecessors of this product from Denon had circular ear cups made of natural wood but the AH D7100 Music Maniac sports polished mahogany behind its silver colored plastic with a very light champagne gold-aluminium color. On the inside of the sealed covers is the new 50 mm Free Edge Nano Fiber drivers.
These special drivers let the user hear every single nuance and they have an exceptionally large range. Around them are the wide, super-soft leather covered ear pads. The cushions are filled with memory foam, not only for optimum comfort but also for an excellent seal and a delightful fit. The pads are leatherette (faux leather), but are of very good quality.
The newly added Free Edge Nano Fiber membranes, new elements and housings, are some of the features that set the D7100 apart from the D7000 ensuring that it sounds distinctly different. Amongst other things, the sound is fuller.
The package includes two pairs of wires, one with a 6.3 mm connector for home use and the other with a 3.5 mm mini-jack and remote control for portable use.
These headphones, in many ways, sound like an open model, but without the disadvantages.
The input impedance of 25 ohms is quite low and the frequency range is theoretically 5 – 45000 Hz. The product weighs approximately 370 grams without the cables.
Some of the additional features of this product are the detachable cords, two of which are included. One of the cables is designed for mobile use. There is an iPhone / iPad-compatible mini-jack, and on the cable is a small 3-button remote and microphone. At the end of the cord are plated mono mini-jacks that can be inserted in the ear cups. In addition, a Denon headphone mode is included.
The Denon AH-D7100 sounds really great when used with a headphone amplifier. The detachable nature of the cables makes them an ideal companion for those moments when you are on the move.
- Manufacturer – Denon
- Item model number – AH-D7100
- Product Dimensions – 7.3 x 3.6 x 7.8 inches
- Product Weight – 13.1 ounces
- Product Shipping Weight – 5.2 pounds
- Microphone – Yes
- Type – Closed Headphones
- Cable Length – 3 ft.
- Headphone connector (Jack) – 6.3 mm
- Included intent plugs (Mini jack) – 3.6 mm
- Driver Type – Dynamic
- Sensitivity (at 1 kHz) – 110 decibells
- Impedance – 25 Ohm
- Frequency (Low) – 5 Hertz
- Frequency (High) – 45000 Hertz
- Remote – Yes
- Extension Cord – Yes
- Collapsible Band – No
- Active Noise Cancelling – Not supported
- Wireless Functionality – Not supported
- Other Features – Display Stand, Carrying Pouch, 10-foot stereo cable etc.
- They are very comfortable to wear even though they are a bit weighty
- Very good sound stage
- They are very iPhone friendly
- The cables are detachable and cables from other sources can be used with these headphones
- It is very expensive, although this should not come as a surprise being luxury headphones
- They might be loose and uncomfortable for people with smaller heads
- The bass on these headphones sounds a bit weak when playing some genres of music
There are many positives for these headphones, although many users reminisce about some features of the previous versions. For a product of this price, the Denon AH-D7100 headphones does not disappoint.
If cost is not an issue for you, then this product gets my highest recommendation for both comfort and performance.