Published on December 19th, 2014 | by audioguy8
Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones Review
The Sennheiser HD 558 headphones are the closest thing to a perfect combination of design and quality that you will ever find. The Sennheiser HD 558 headphones are classified as circumaural headphones. These type of headphones completely cover the ear and are usually more comfortable than supra-aural models because they do not press the ear. These headphones are larger and heavier, which makes them an excellent choice for those times when you wish to completely insulate yourself from outside noise. These headphones are a great choice for anyone who refuses to compromise on quality and fidelity.
They have an open and dynamic design that is based on the innovative Ergonomic Acoustic Refinement (EAR) technology which was specifically developed by the manufacturer with the aim of transmitting the sound directly into the ear by tilting the interior speakers at a slight angle. Hence, they have the ability to properly channel audio signals into the ear. The headphone design, in combination with the EAR technology, make outstanding bass and voice projection possible.
They have been crafted using carefully selected materials in order to ensure that the headsets are very light and comfortable so it can be worn for long periods of time without the wearer feeling any discomfort. The exterior parts of the headphones might be made of plastic, but that does not imply that they are of inferior quality or that the audio quality is not good. In fact, the Sennheiser HD 558 headphones feature powerful neodymium magnets that enable the headphones to avoid distortion.
In addition to this, their state-of-the-art Duofol diaphragms function to help reduce unwanted resonances to an absolute minimum. The HD 558 headphones come with leather cushions that gently caress the ears and their velvet cushion provides superior comfort for extended listening sessions.
Speaking in terms of the sound quality, the Sennheiser HD 558 headphones have an impedance which is lower than the average impedance of all major headphones. A low impedance headphones consumes less energy.
The sensitivity of these headphones is considerably higher than the average headphones (104.00 dB /mW). Higher sensitivity also implies that these headphones consume less battery, and also produce better sound quality that realistically reflects the original recording.
Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones utilize their special Internal Surround Reflector feature to generate a prolonged auditory spatial sound field, thus making them ideal for home theater listening.
They come fitted with extremely comfortable headband and ear pads. Also worthy of mention is the headphone’s elegantly-layered honeycomb texture on the ear cup casings which makes them even more aesthetically appealing.
Sennheiser HD 558 Specifications
Some of the salient features of these headphones are:
- Brand – Sennheiser
- Model name – HD 558
- Product Dimensions – 10 x 23.2 x 20.5 cm
- Speaker connection – wired
- Form Factor headphones – Closed headband
- Form factor – Over ear
- Headphone frequency – 15-28000 Hz
- Appropriate cable size: 3 meters (Replaceable)
- Batteries not included
- Internal Surround Reflector, which makes a wonderful choice for both Music and Movie entertainment at home and for lovers of video games.
- Total harmonic distortion < 0.2% (1 kHz / 100 dB SPL)
- Sound pressure level (SPL) – 112 dB
- Impedance – 50 Ω
- Weight – 260 grams
- Connectors – 6.3 mm connector , 3.5 mm Adapter
- Very comfortable at both ears and head pads.
- This model lets you feel the treble and bass in a song or movie due to its wide frequency range.
- The unique combination of the surround reflector as well as EAR technology synergize to provide a three-dimensional sound experience
- can also be used with mobile devices
- Its frequency range is short
The Sennheiser HD 558 headphones, are definitely a good option to enter the world of high end audio without having to pay through your nose.
Click Here for Pricing and Customer Reviews