Published on December 24th, 2017 | by audioguy0
Sennheiser HD 579 Open Back Headphones Review
The Sennheiser HD 579 headphones deliver a near audiophile level of sound in a stylish over-ear unit that allow you to immerse yourself in music for hours on end. Using Sennheiser’s transducer technology and an E.A.R (Ergonomic Acoustic Refinement) design, the HD 579’s direct sound straight to your ears so nothing gets missed. Perfect for at-home listening, the HD 579’s opened back design delivers a high quality detailed sound that never gets boring.
A 3-metre cable with both 6.3mm and 3.5mm jacks mean the HD 579’s are the perfect companion to any music system. The large soft earpads encase your ears perfectly for a truly immersive experience whilst the wide cushioned headband offers added comfort and security, the matte silver details and grey design make the HD 579’s a stylish addition to any home entertainment system without compromising on sound or comfort. For an encapsulating musical experience that can last for hours on end, the Sennheiser HD 579 over-ear headphones is definitely the one.
With the Sennheiser HD 579 you clearly enter the territory of aural excellence. Its acoustically open over-ear design works together with high-class Sennheiser transducers to create a detailed, well balanced sound image that you cannot get enough of. The full-sized design of the HD 579 leaves plenty of room for comfort. Large ear cups with soft replaceable ear pads, and a broad padded headband allow you to immerse yourself in your music for hours on end. With design touches such as matte metallic detailing and its stylish grey color scheme, the HD 579 looks just as incredible as it sounds. It will be the perfect addition to your home entertainment system.
- Low End: The low end of the HD 579 offers tight, well-controlled bass with plenty of impact and minimal bleeding. Male vocals remain distinct even among tricky instrumentation, and the level of contrast and articulation is commendable.
- Mids: Similar to the HD 599, the 579 seems to exhibit just a shade of compression in the upper mids
- High End: Bright with good detail, the sound remains well-controlled and free of piercing or screeching flaws.
Ergonomics and accessories
Sennheiser’s HD 579 headphones feature velour and memory foam earpads and a headband in faux leather. The model’s structure is made of plastic coated in ivory-colored metallic paint. The headphones come with two detachable cables: one 1.2 meters long with a 3.5 mm mini-jack connector and the other 3 meters long with a 6.3 mm stereo plug connector. A 6.35 mm stereo plug to 3.5 mm jack adapter is also provided.
The HD 579s are velvety-smooth with a gentle tone meaning you can comfortably listen to them for hours on end. Drums have impact, bass notes are rich and deep, and voices expressive – there are no harsh edges to the HD 579s. However, the HD 579s do sacrifice transparency and insight for their even tones: useful if you’re listening to low-resolution streaming on Spotify.
The HD 579s have a sleek and sturdy design with incredibly soft earcups and headband cushion: every inch of them feels like a premium product. The HD 579s grip well and adjust easily to fit most sizes – and the compact build caters well for people with smaller heads. Make sure you try them on though, as the firm grip may not be for everyone.
Overview of the product features
• Open circumaural (around ear) design
• Cool Grey Color & Matte Finish; Matte Metallic Deco Ring on Ear cup
• Grey Stitches on Headband Sleeve
• Powered by Sennheiser proprietary drivers, featuring a 38mm 50 ohm transducer
• 6.3mm to 3.5mm jack adaptor included
• Frequency Response: 15 -28,000 Hz
• Sound Pressure Level: 106d B (1kHz/1 Vrms)
• Impedance: 50 Ohms
• Construction: Open, circumaural
• Color: Gray with matte metallic detailing
• Impedance: 50 ohms
• Frequency response: 15 Hz-28 kHz
• Sound pressure level: 106 dB SPL (1 kHz/1 Vrms)
• Total harmonic distortion: <0.2% (1 kHz, 100 dB SPL)
• Weight: 25.4 oz (719 g)
• 9.8 ft (3 m) cable with¼ in (6.3 mm) straight plug
• ¼ in (6.3 mm) to½ in (3.5 mm) adapter
Featuring a contemporary design that is both attractive and ergonomic, they are a real treat for all who listen to their music with a sense of discovery. The headphones also include a 9.8′ detachable cable with a 1/4″ connector, and a 1/4″ to 1/8″ headphone adapter, which make them compatible with a variety of devices and home entertainment systems.
Why should you buy it?
The Sennheiser HD 579 open-back, around-ear headphones will take your home audio entertainment to the next level. The HD 579 delivers astonishingly realistic, expansive sound reproduction that will allow you to experience your home entertainment system as never before. Superb wearing comfort, even in long hours of listening, is achieved thanks to the large ear cups and soft replacement ear pads. And finished in a stylish, cool gray color, the Sennheiser HD 579 will be a welcoming addition to any home audio system.
• Smooth, rich sound
• Punchy and dynamic
• Forgiving and easy-going character
• Expressive vocals
• Soft and comfortable to wear
• Sleek, compact design
• Need more attack and excitement
• Not as agile, subtle or open as rivals
The Sennheiser HD579 over-ear headphones are designed for high-quality audio while also being very comfortable. Similar to their Sennheiser siblings the HD569s, these don’t have wireless Bluetooth connection or noise cancelling, but you’d expect great sound quality considering the high price. if you’re in the market for more of an analytical sound, the HD 579 is probably your best bet – or should at least be on your list of headphones to try. For classical and jazz music, this may be the better option.